Hair Loss After Pregnancy

Hair Loss after Pregnancy is Common among 40 to 50% of Women

Pensive Young WomanHair loss after pregnancy might make some women a little worried, but there is nothing to fear as it is quite common. Approximately 90% of your hair is actively growing at any time, while the remaining 10% of your hair enters a resting phase. It is common for the resting hair to gradually fall over two to three months, allowing new hair to grow. Often after pregnancy, women notice a large amount of hair loss occuring one to five months later –  this is completely normal and usually temporary.

If you have noticed that you are losing a large amount of hair after your pregnancy, you might be feeling a little insecure about your appearance. However, it is important to keep in mind that hair loss after pregnancy isn’t serious enough to cause permanent hair loss or bald spots. In fact, this hair loss should eventually come to an end and regrow.

The reason for hair loss after pregnancy is simple. During pregnancy you will experience an increase in hormone levels which suspends the normal hair loss cycle. After delivery however, your hormones return relatively quickly to normal levels which means that your hair too will suddenly resume its normal cycle and try to catch up on 9 months of normal shedding.

If you are experiencing hair loss after pregnancy there are a wide variety of things that you can do to improve the appearance of your temporary hair loss. None are guaranteed, but they should make your hair appear thicker and healthier while it recovers naturally. First and foremost, if you are experiencing hair loss you should see your doctor to determine the exact cause to rule out potentially serious medical issues such as PCOS, Lupus and other diseases. It is also important to avoid anything that can physically stress or pull your hair such as braids or ponytails. Your hair may be more fragile after pregnancy, so try to treat it that way. Throughout your pregnancy and after delivery it is important to eat sufficient fruits and vegetables that contain a high level of antioxidants. Antioxidants and flavonoids will help protect your hair follicles and encourage hair regrowth.

Throughout the months after pregnancy that you are experiencing more than normal hair loss, you can also use hair thickening cosmetics products, including shampoos, sprays and gels to give your hair a fuller appearance. This is especially helpful for women who already have thin hair to begin with, as even a small amount of hair loss can have quite a dramatic effect.

Happy Woman with shopping bagMaking changes in diet, using hair thickening products and taking care of your existing hair after pregnancy will make a world of difference. Losing hair can affect your emotional well being as well as your self-esteem so try to keep a positive outlook, remembering that hair loss after pregnancy is only temporary.


Volluma ProductsVolluma Hair Thickener

Volluma Salon Professional Hair Thickener and Volumizer for Thinning Hair is the popular choice of many Hair Stylists when confronted with thinning hair and hair loss. It’s colored formulation thickens thinning hair adding the body needed to make the hair conform to the stylist wishes and it’s water resistant formulation keeps it in place in the toughest conditions – it won’t let you down.

If you suffer from thinning hair and don’t want drugs, surgery or wigs, use the Hair Thickener the Pros use – choose Volluma!

Buy Volluma Now ButtonGuarantee

Women's Styling Guide

Style Guide Sidebar Topper
First Name *
Last Name
Email *
Your Gender
Our Privacy Policy

Let Us Know What You Think
Facebook Logo Twitter Logo Linkedin

"Great Tips for people with thinning hair!"
~ Sally La, award winning stylist

"I read the styling guide. I should agree that it contains useful tips."
~ Val

"I did receive the styling guide and found many useful tips."
~ Shelley

"The guide is most informative - several good tips of which I was unaware. Much appreciated."
~ Jailyn